Monday, January 16, 2012

Today, I celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. & the King in Me

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.-1Peter 2:9 NIV
Every year on my birthday, my mother would reminisce about the day I was born. January 14, 1986, I came into this world, and I'm pretty sure my mother was elated to add another edition to the family. She said that I was born at Gardena Memorial, (located in Gardena, California) somehow my father's insurance did not cover our stay and postpartum treatment, so that loaded her, and I in an ambulance and rushed us over to Martin Luther King Hospital. To be in Martin Luther King Hospital during his birthday celebration was an experience to remember. She recalls, after 26 years, how joyful the nurses were to see such a baby, and for us to have come to this hospital on this special day was a joyous occasion. Sure I have no recollection of the festivities, lol, but my mother said they treated her very well (poor I may have been when I came into the world, but to them I was royal). After everything my mother had experienced leading up to my birth, God was about to throw her the best, mommy and baby party she had ever seen. "Music was playing," she said, and there was decorations of Dr. King...how cool is that! Dr. Martin Luther King meant something to those nurses, doctors, and patients. There may have been other little princes, and princesses born on January 14, and 15, that may have a different account of their stay, depending on how their mother's story, but I somehow feel very blessed to have been rushed to that hospital, on that day, with my mother, and God's guidance. Even though that hospital was located in the poorest part of Los Angeles, they had a pride about them. They too realized the struggles Dr. King had endure for the rights and privileges of all. Because of the spirit in him, we can now attend any private or public sector. We can worship together lifting up the name of Jesus and not feel condemned or judged because of the color of our skin. For we know that Christ died for all, and that one day we will be joined together with him in the air, Thank you Jesus! Furthermore, Revelation 7:9 says, "After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands." This will be us one day. Standing before the throne of God. I can't wait for that glorious day! Today, I celebrate your legacy Dr. King, that you left to each of us, a legacy that will out live us all, and when we all get to heaven what a day of rejoicing that will be. I somehow feel apart of Dr. Kings dream, and so should you, and one day we will be apart of John's vision in Revelation. Thanks Dr. King for your selfless sacrifice. You modeled Christ, and you will always be apart of my life. Happy King's Day! Source: Picture:Courtesy of the University of Michigan-Flint

No comments:

Post a Comment